spark plug wires, etc.

My $0.02:

I didn't replace my stock 16V wires until I had to.  Bro. and I bought
Blue Ignitors from Rapid.  Bro's developed bad wire.  Since my car was no
go, I lent him mine until Rapid Parts sent new ones.  Bro was
remibursed.  So....price, esp for 16V seems high, but they work and they
will warranty them.  And I got another VW catalog to boot.

If you have space, I'd diagnose existing wires, marking which ones are
really bad. That way you may have spare.  BTW, bro'
s faulty wire may be his fault (wire was loose at dist cap...)

Oh yeah, they aren't as blue as they used to be (boots are black now),
but they are still a not bad match for the blue lettering on valve cover
of 16V.

RE:  Head gasket gone?  Are you sure its not just the valve cover
gasket?  Its not that much money to replace.  I'd also consider having
leak-down test before doing head gasket.

RE Blown Bilsteins:

Are you sure you have the right stroke?  I'd call Bilstein and see if
they have shortened piston shafts if you have really lowering springs.
At least your shocks didn't get thrown away (GMP did it to me long time ago).

-- Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...
Firesign Theatre