Re: changing transmission seal

1. Take hubcap cap etc. to access 30mm nut in the center of the hub between
the 4 lugnuts.

2. Remove nut (you might have to have the e-brake on and the car in gear if
you dont have a helper).

3.Jack car up and set it on jackstands.

4.Loosen 12pt 8mm Allen bolts @ driveflange (qty. 6)

5. Lift axle from the inner CV joint out of the flange cup and lift it
towards the hood

6. slide axle assy towards drivers side of the car.

7. Place axle on ground.

If you are referring to removing the driveflange:

1. Use small screwdriver to remove cap in the center of flange (you will
have to pry it out and be sure to install a new cap)

2. Use a pair of circlip pliers to remove retaining clip

3. If you have a trans with some mileage on it then you will already have
the flange, circlip, funny washer on the floor in front of you. Oh yeah be
ready to move if it comes off all by itself, it would hurt to have that land
on your forehead ;)

4. If you are this far then it didnt come off so you will have to pry
(gently) at 180 degrees opposing with a pair of screwdrivers to get it off.

HTH

>Hi all,
>
>We're in the process of changing the (outer) transmission seal (right
>side, 82 model), and we have a question that my Chilton's doesn't quite
>address.
>
>What is the proper procedure for getting the half-shaft out of the
>transmission?
>TIA.
>
>Timothy A Reed, Esq.
>t.a.reed.esq@juno.com
>Moses approached the thick darkness where God was
>Exodus 20:21

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA