Re: Brake problems

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 01:09:48 GMT "Wing Gee" <winggee@hotmail.com> writes:
> I seem to run into more and more problems as i drive the car.. but
> that's ok. it's understandable. this time, the brake has gone completly

> soft. when i step on it. it'll start sinking to the bottom. and have to
pump
> quickly..
> so i figure i just needed to bleed it. so i bleeded it yesterday..
> and today it's still haveing the same problem but this time the brakes
are
> better but still sinks when i have my feet on it. any idea on what's
failing?

> Thanks
> Wing

The master cylinder... Unless you have a lot of air in the system, but if
it just happened out of the blue, it is probably time for a M/cyl.
As long as you don't have any brake fluid leaks, and you bled it
properly, the M/cyl is probably bad.

I recently had to do the M/cyl on my GTI, and here are a few tips.
Make sure you bench bleed the M/cyl before you install it.
I plugged the M/cyl holes up after bench bleeding it and then bolted it
to the brake booster,
this allowed me to re-install each brake line one at a time, without any
major fluid loss.
I then started bleeding the passenger rear caliper, then the driver's
side rear caliper, passenger front, and finally the driver front caliper.
It was real easy to bleed and change all the fluid with my one man
bleeder valve with my extension hose and container setup.

Along with the new M/cyl, I'd recommend an 11 mm flare wrench, and a
regular 11 mm combination wrench, rubber gloves, and a quart of brake
fluid.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI, new rebuilt M/cyl
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V