Re: amps @ subs

I've got 5.25 components in my doors.  I love them.
Within the next few weeks I am going to figure out a
better solution for the fit.  When I initially put
them in I didn't have access to any tools or a garage,
so the installation consisted of a utility knife,
sheet metal nibblers and duct tape.  I am going to
make a MDF baffle/trim ring to fill the hole, I have a
waterproof poly/foam baffle to go around the driver,
and I am going to dynamat the inside of the door
(spray dynamat).  I have access to a digital camera,
so I will take pictures of the installation, like I
have been promising to do for a year and a half.... ;)

If you do go with JBL Subs, BestBuy and Circuit Shitty
have buy one get one free offers, and you can get 2
10" JBL;s for ~$100.  That's what I did.  Then you
have to add the cost of a sealed box (a correctly
designed bandpass will FAR exceed your price range,
and an incorrectly designed one isn't worth jack
unless you just want to impress the yokels in their
lowriders) and an amplifier, and you might stay within
your target range.

But as I said earlier, if you don't care all that much
get a powered bazooka tube and slap that in. Easy to
install with a decent sound.

Mark

--- Anthony Pelletier <vwnuts@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have an american bass XL-10 in a 1 cu ft sealed
> box
> and like it a lot.  I have it running off of
> 150watts
> on 2ch of a 4ch cadence amp.  It sounds nice.
> Plenty
> of bass for my tastes.  The woofer was real cheap
> $60
> if I recall correctly.  (I have a friend who has a
> small stereo shop so it helps out).  Now those
> shitty
> 4 X 6's in my doors, now that is a different story.
> have infinity reference 4 X 6 plates in the doors
> with
> 50 w rms(speakers are rated for 40 but it is clean
> power) into them and they are just ok.  They are
> nice
> at low volume but at high volume they just get too
> harsh on the high end without enough midrange.  And
> they were a bitch to fit.  Anyone have any door
> solutions they like?  I heard from someone here that
> 5
> 1/4" fit in the doors?  I just want fuller sound up
> front.  Right now I have the x-over @250 hz.
> everything above goes to the door speakers
> everything
> below goes to the sub.  I don't dare pump alot of
> power @ any lower frequencys to a 4" speaker.
> wow that was a whole lot longer than I thought.
>
> Tony
>

> --- "Josh(MAD16v)Able" <kpa@wizvax.net> wrote:
> > ok two fast questions for you folks....
> > what 10" sub would you buy in the $100-150 price
> > range?
> > what amp would you buy to power the sub, in a
> > $125-180 price range?
> >
> > thanks, seems like whoever I talk to tells me to
> get
> > something different
> > than the last person I asked, damn pain in the
> ass.
> > Iam the meaning of life
> >
> > (MAD)Josh
> > 87 16v seidl
> >
> > --
> > Email problems to: scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org
> > unsubscibe send

=====
Mark
Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean that anyone wants to hear it

87 Westfalia Gl
84 Scirocco 8v
http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/