update: sticky fuel distributor plunger?

Okay, I think I may know what's going on here.  After hours of staring at my
Chilton's and my open airbox, I have an idea.  The chilton's says that the
airflow sensor plate should rest flush with the air cone at rest.  Right
now, mine is hanging down below it.  Plus, the plate is hard to move up
manually, which means that the fuel distributor plunger is sticky.  The
plunger is mushy when you push it in by hand and is slow coming back out.
So, since the plate can't move up, my engine is only getting fuel when the
5th injector kicks in at startup.  No, yes, maybe?  Anyone wanna verify any
of this?  BTW this is all on an 88 16v.
Thanks
Joe