My Jetta on the Dyno today.....(non ROCC, SORRY)

the 89 Jetta Carat got dynoed today.

I got good news, bad news and interesting news.

 interesting news- retard the digifant ignition ~5 degrees and loose 28 hp. no shit. advance it the same amount and get 2 hp ,funky 2500 idle junk and spark knock on premium gas. advice- do not taunt digifant ignition. it has the power, it sees all. you are inferior. set it and forget it.

good news- she made 84.7 at the wheels, which by my dubious math is like 107 hp at the crank, slightly above factory rating of 105. all right! I was hoping for 80, so she did pretty good.

and the bad news.
something is wrong in the fuel injection on that car. besides needing motor mounts (watch it wiggle, see it jiggle, jello brand engine mounts....), it did this funky sometimes I will do a high rpm enrichment mode above 4500 rpm yielding 9HP difference at 6,000. you can see a power spike on the band as soon as the mixture goes fat. it only does this 1/2 of the time. so we checked the full throttle switch and it cked out per bentley procedure. and it seems to me that if it was that switch it should not be rpm dependent it should be thottle position dependent, but at WOT from 1500 rpm, 3500 rpm is along time to kick in....

I thought sometimes I could feel a high rpm power surge in the car that I chalked up to like atmospeheric conditions that sort of thing. apparently it is real and is in the car somewhere. I am going to try a new 02 sensor and see if that help it, and maybe ck the air flow meter- binding spring on the flapper..... or it could just be an old worn out jetta being asked to do more than it has ever before in it's life. I dunno.  any ideas?

Ken N.
1986 Jetta GLI 8V (TOTALLED 6/30/00)
1988 Jetta GLS 8V
1989 Jetta Carat 8V
1985 Scirocco Wolfsburg 8V -Back In Service!!!
1985 Mercury Capri 5.8L, FOR SALE MAKE OFFER
http://www.mindspring.com/~farmracer/slidehawk.htm