Re: Oil Pressure Issues?

>Hi all,
>
>	I may be having issues with my '86 16v.  Yesterday, I
>switched from 20w-50
>Castrol semi-synth to 10w-40 Castrol synth.  Now, my oil pressure gauge is
>running about .2 to .3 bar when fully warm (it's also running about 4
>degrees warmer).  This was not an issue with the 20w-50 semi-synth.  I
>checked the pressure at 2,000 rpm.  It should be about 2 bar according to
>Bentley.  Mine was reading about 1.3 bar.  On a somewhat related note, ever
>since I put in the pressure gauge (from a Jetta) with the two-pole sender,
>the oil pressure seems to be reading low.  Here are the questions:
>
>1. What sender should I be using for this gauge?  I bought a 150 psi sender
>from Potterman, but the gauge reads up to 5 bar (1 bar = 14.7 psi).  Is this
>the right sender or is there a 75 psi sender that I should be running?
>2. I need to buy an oil pressure gauge to check the true pressure and
>determine if it's the dash gauge that's wrong or if my pressure is truly
>that low.  Bentley says to use the sender mount.  Are these types of
>pressure gauges generic or is there a specific one I need to use for a VW?
>Will a Napa/Schuck's/Pep Boys/etc. carry something like this?
>3. Has anyone had similar experiences when switching to synth oil?
>
>TIA.
>
>- Brad
>'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
>'76 International Scout II

When I switched to full synthetic from dino my oil temperature dropped. I
do not remember a change in the pressure. The temperature is still consistent
with the original observation. My pressure gauge is not currently wired. I
am running the oil pressure off a VDO dual sender. I am running the temperature
off a VDO temp sender located near the same point.

Was running a 1.6L highly modified system in a 1979. Now running a highly
modified 1984 1.8L in my 1979.