Re: [mk2] engine noises (after water pump replacement)

> I have a whiney V-belt pulley or something. I think I
> screwed my coolant pump pulley up by cleaning it with
> parts cleaner, the bearings are probably not lubed up
> enough even though I tried my damndest to get some
> white lithium grease sprayed into it.

  i'm not sure if you're supposed to be able to. both my old and
brand-spankin'-new water pump turn rather stiffly (can't just put your
finger on it and spin it really fast). can't really see how lubricant
could screw it up. it's supposed to be sealed to prevent the coolant
from escaping.

> I have a whine
> similar to that of a turbo kicking in, it changes
> pitch with increase in RPM. I'm not too excited about

  check your transmission. i have a whine on both my '85 and '86. the
'85 is a 9a trans, and makes the noise in all gears. the '86 is an acn
trans, and only does it in fifth. i, personally, think it's pretty cool.
it's supposedly a sign that the trans is dying, though i've gone 70k on
the acn and haven't had a problem. who knows.