A stroke of luck.

About 15 miles from home tonight, the steering wheel started to shake
violently, pulling side to side. I dropped my speed below 40 and it stopped.
I stopped and checked the wheels but nothing radically wrong. Or so I
thought.
I turned on to the road where my daughter was staying at the sitters and
heard a loud metallic CRACK! It quietened once I straightened the wheels.
1/2 a block later I turned into the drive.
Reversing out, the noise was terrible, metal cracking and screaming. Now on
a hill and rolling down, the engine did not make the car move forward or
backwards. I put the hand brake on and leaned out the door to look under.
There, hanging from the tranny, the axle with a shattered CV joint dripping
parts....
With the help of the sitters husband, pushed the car into the drive way.
It could have broken down anywhere along the 40 mile drive. AGAIN, my VW's
have brought me home safe...
Parts will cost less than $100.00, already ordered and here in the morning.
Buy any other type of car? No way....

Julie Macfarlane
'81 Scirocco (Mom)
'83 Rabid Jackalope GTi (Baby's handicapped)
'85 Wolfsburg Jetta (for sale)