Re: who's got a scirocco with a 2.0l 8v?

--- Kris Rayner <veritech@fix.net> wrote:
> Title says it all....now that I have a GTI 16v, I
> can't see a reason to
> have two cars that drive alike, even though I've
> been planning the
> 16v transplant to my Scirocco for a couple of years
> now.  Do any of
> you have a modded 2.0l ABA solid lifter? ever
> compared it to a
> 16v?  Something else that's making me consider this
> is that I want
> to autocross my Scirocco and I really don't think
> I'll be competative
> in the class I'll be in if I put in the 16v.  I'm
> still going to rebuild the
> 16v motor I have, but I'll set it aside for my GTI
> if I should lose a t-
> belt or start burning too much oil.  Anybody know of
> any other pros
> and cons other than the ones mentioned in the recent
> EC? How did
> you deal with the rain tray and stress bar
> interferences?

Kris,

I have  a 2.0 ABA eurospec engine in my 81. I really
like it but have not driven a 16v since...since like
1988. It is mated to an FF tranny so it is not on the
best gearing, but it moves. I had EIP (don't ask)
install it when I lived in Virginia and they did a
shitty job on dealing with the rain tray. They just
hacked the thing and now I have this sore that I keep
trying to hide. It really does not interfere very bad.
You could just pound it out after measuring the
difference in height. Also I recently found out that
my upper stress bar if for the rabbit and while it
clears the engine fine it rubs on the hood. Again a
few raps with the mallet and the clearence problem is
gone.

You can take it for a spin at ND if you like.

=====
mark hausler
'81 scirocco s
'86 GTI