Re: gas gauge in cluster not working..help

Do I remember right that you have an '84 8v?
    If so, then you can take the thing off the top of the tank and
replace it with another one, but you'll have to switch the pump over. If
you have a pre-'84, then you don't have to worry about the in-tank pump
at all, because you don't have one. Certainly try replacing just the
female end first. When you look in there, does it look all corroded?
    -Josiah
    '87 GLI
    '84 GTI
    various parts cars...