Velocity Stage2 Diffy kit question

Just wanted to make sure on something.  The directions
that came with the kit say that installation goes

copper ring
Shim (washer?)
Oil Seal
Flange
circlip
o-ring
bolt

Is the shim the washer?  I was just a lil confused
because when removing it the shim (washer) was between
the circlip and the flange. On reinstallation it is
between the copper ring & oil seal on the inside.
Also, it seems to hang pretty loose around the drive
splines.  The copper ring fits tight, but the
shim/washer is loose.  Is that part of the "automatic
centering action"?

I just wanted to make sure before I slap the CV axles
back on.

And, FWIW - those circlips and Oil seals are a major
bitch to get out.  The circlips are even worse to get
back in....

=====
Mark

87 Westfalia Gl