Re: Good temp for Synthetic Oil. was: Worked on....

At 09:14 PM 4/20/2000 , scirokn81 wrote:

>Oops, forgot to put which C or F, I'll go check.......
>Ok, it is in deg F.

HUH?  230F?  That's like 110'C, and that's normal running temp for a 16v.

>The reason I put the oil cooler on was because last time I autocrossed it
>(first time since the new engine was installed) it went from it's normal
>190-200F range up to about 230F on each run and would cool down between runs
>back to 200F. So what your saying is that 230F really isn't that bad?

We've had countless discussions about this before-- but the redline on the
stock oil temp guage is 150'C.
That's 300'F, and I wouldn't worry unless your oil gets close to that.  It
happens all the time on Autobahnen that oil gets to 140'C... we're just
pussies and worry too much.

>On the next oil change I am going to switch to Amsoil instead of Redline
>(anyone out there use this stuff?). I am now thinking that with the added
>cooling I can run 10W30 (instead of 20W50) now for the benifit of thinner
>oil and less drag on the engine and also bring the engine back up to hotter
>operating temp. Any thoughts?

I always run MobilOne 15/50 and have never had any temp problems.  Do
whatever you wanna, but don't worry about those temps..

Jason

>I know, this is kinda like doing this whole thing Bass Ackwards, kinda the
>story of my life 8)
>Thanks,
>
>Randy B
>81 Cosmos Scirocco S - future project
>81 Mars Scirocco S - tt 1847cc 8V
>87 gold Scirocco 16V
>
> > I assume you are talking about degrees Farenheit.  Synthetic should be
>good
> > to 275 degrees F.  I think you could run your oil too cool, but that would
> > probably be in the range of 150 or less.  Depending on the oil, of course.
> > But your temp is about where my 16v runs, so I'd say you're fine.
> >
> > Ian Overholt
> > '88 16v
> > '78 Champagne Edition
> >

> > >From: "scirokn81" <scirokn81@email.msn.com>
> > >To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> > >Subject: Worked on my MK1 today, got some questions.
> > >Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 20:52:54 -0700
> > >
> > >Yee Hah.
> > >Well I worked on the Mars-tt all day. What a wonderful day.
> > >
> > >I installed my Mocal oil cooler finally which led me to start pondering.
> > >Q1.   After driving it VERY hard for 1/2-hour or so the temp never went
> > >over 180 deg. It used to vary between 200 and 210deg. most of the time. I
> > >use Redline 20W50 Synthetic. Is it possible to run the engine too cold,
>or
> > >not hot enough. The sandwich plate has a thermostat in it and appears to
>be
> > >working correctly.

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro