Re: dynoed a 2008cc motor

At 11:05 AM 4/20/2000 , Daun Yeagley wrote:

>--- StephyGee <stephygee@prodigy.net> wrote:
>Okay, this is my
> > confession, as I'm a closet
> > stock exhaust lover.

LOL is right. :)  Me too!

And I agree with Daun-- I don't think there's a tenth of a HP to be gained
by aftermarket exhausts.  2.25 inch diameter exhaust tubing is *more* than
sufficient for a 1.8 liter engine-- and certainly sufficient for a
2.0.  For _seriously_ tuned 2.0 (and above) liter engines, a small amount
of power might be gained in the very top-end, but without the backpressure,
probably at a sacrifice to low-end torque.

My $0.02.

(and my car has a stock exhaust. :)

>LOL!
>
>Well ya know, I must admit...   I spent a good part of last
>Sunday driving my ex's '87 16v w/ stock exhaust, and had
>forgotten how nice it can sound.  Maybe it's just me, but I
>can't really tell much performance difference between the
>stock exhaust and the Techtonics I have on my 16v other
>than *perhaps* a slight dropoff in power over 6k rpm.  (I
>didn't push it THAT hard, there were 3 people in the car so
>there didn't seem to be much point.  Going mostly by memory
>of what my car USED to be like.)
>

>=====
>Daun Yeagley
>'80 Scirocco S
>'81 Pickup
>'82 Pickup
>'85 Scirocco 8v (2)
>'88 Scirocco 16v
>"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of
>the powers that be.  The universe is listening."  -Lane Wallace.

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://members.aol.com/rocco16v