Re: Trans. Self Machining Syndrome

I learned the hard way that the AGB *IS* susceptible to it. My AGB had a
massive 3" hole in the bellhousing by the clutch on the inside. VW's fix
sucks ass BTW, the AGB is *SUPPOSED* to have it........ no matter what
if the tranny is apart for syncro's or something have the bolt kit put
in....... Nothing like ruined trans to kill your day. I caught mine
because it felt like the trans was binding when I would start off in 1st
gear, and after parking it for a day, I noticed a puddle of gear oil
underneath it..... My AGB was so trashed that it couldn't be rebuilt. I
have a fully rebuilt AGB in it now with the bolt kit, and IMHO it's nice
insurance that your transmission won't "Develop" a hole on it's own free
will when you are something like 600 miles from home....... Thanks

Gerry Reichelt wrote:

>    Is the AGB tranny in a 16v 'Rocco susceptible to self machining or did it
> come with VW's "fix" from the factory? If it can be affected, where does the
> problem typically surface and is it visible from the top, bottom or
> anywhere?
>    Gerry

Gary A. Huff scirocco86@home.com
86.5 16v Scirocco "Red Rocket" (120k miles)
80 Gas Rabbit Pickup; grazing the driveway. (Needs strut tower welding
and
title, 50k original miles)