Re: What happens when you drop a belt on a 16v?

> RPM has nothing to do with the damage factor.

>>It has EVERYTHING to do with the 'damage factor'. Lets say you break a
>>belt at 2 grand, it's true that chances are, you bent at least two
>>valves. (intakes) On the other hand, if you are screaming down the road
>>tacking out 6500 RPM's, you probably just screwed a LOT OF SHIT UP!

Ok, yes its the law of averages, at a higher RPM of course your risk is
higher. And as you said it at 2K and above "chances are" youre going to bend
a valve.

>Jareds car stuffed the
> valves
> at 30rpm.

>>DAMN that's low! How the fuck did you measure that?!?

It happened when he tried to start the car, so Im figuring since while
turning the starter over the tach never exceeds 100 RPM. I figured in the
0-100 ballpark on the lower side.

> Its dumb luck you did not stuff a valve.

>>It's dumb assed comments like this that get me into an ass kickin' mood!

And its pointless comments like that that make regret wasting the time
posting to this list.

> My friends Jetta
> stuffed
> them at 2000rpm in 20mph traffic.

>>How many miles since the belt had been changed? Your answer will not be
>>taken with much credibility.

What does that have anything to do with him stuffing valves? And if you doubt
my credibility dont respond to the posts.

> Why is this? Is it because the 2.0 has a longer stroke then the 1.8?

>>You can get a 1.8 out by one tooth and the worst you have to worry about
>>is a poor running car. Do the same on a 2.0 and you have some bent
>>intakes.

Again why is this?

>>I guess that would have to do with the difference in compression
>>ratios.

The Bentley manual lists both the 9A and PL motor as having 10:1 compression.

Hmmm, you don't happen to have anything to do with the Scirocco
>>registry? They seem to spread this kind of bullshit propaganda on their
>>page as I remember.

2.0 = 92.8 mm stroke x 82.5 mm bore
1.8 = something like 86.4 mm stroke and 81 mm bore, not sure on the exact
numbers off the top of my head.

>>My point is this: If you break a timing belt you don't have to expect the
>>worst. It's not all that uncommon to break one and have no ill side
>>effects.

Have a day,
Eric
Good, bad....I'm the guy with the gun!