lowering question

Hey all...now that my 16v is running again (whoo hoo!), I can start
working on other *issues* that I want to take care of...
One of these would be the ride height.  I have Konis w/ Neuspeed Sport
springs(similar to H&Rs) and stock 14'' teardrops.  The konis allow me to
adjust the height in the rear, but the front is where the problem lies...
There is a significant gap in the front between the top of the tire and
wheel arch (about 2'').  I was hoping for more of a drop...so that there
would be at most an inch between the tire and arch.
  Besides those expensive lowering caps, what options do I have?  Would I
be safe to cut a coil from the front springs...I know that this is not the
best solution, but would this give an inch drop?  Can these "dead coils"
be removed without destroying the spring and its characteristics?
I would like any opinions/thoughts about this...TIA!

=====