RE: What hapens when you drop a belt on a 16v?

	> NOT TRUE! I have broken a belt on a 1.8 and had no bent valves. It's a
	> depends on the RPS's the car was running at the time the belt broke.

RPM has nothing to do with the damage factor. Jareds car stuffed the valves
at 30rpm. Its dumb luck you did not stuff a valve. My friends Jetta stuffed
them at 2000rpm in 20mph traffic. Regardless of RPM on a 16V your pistons
and valves are sharing the same space at diiferent times in the chamber.
There ARE points in the cycle that you could stop the motor and suffer no
damage, but at anything above 100 RPM you chances slim to none, its russian
roulette.

	>The point I'm making is that after having the timing
	>belt, cam pulley(due to broken tooth that actually
	>caused the belt to go), and three seals later, they
	>did a compression test and it checked out fine, no
	>apparent valve damage.

Again this is very rare..you were lucky.

     >i have to agree here. i was doing about 90 in my 8v (3500 rpm?) when
     >my timing belt jumped. i realize that it might no be the same thing,
but
     >i though some damage would've happened to my car.

A 8V is a non-interference motor, in that the pistons never travel into the
path of the valves. A broken timing belt in a 8V would simply result in a
non-running car.

	> Chances increase if the belt breaks on a 2.0. The good news is that the
	> intake valves are the ones that normally take the damage. They are the
	> cheaper ones to replace.

Why is this? Is it because the 2.0 has a longer stroke then the 1.8?

--
 /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
< o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com