Re: lost keys

Unfortunately, the VIN thing only works with newer cars-- VW has no record
of what key went in what lock on what car.

You should call a locksmith to come out and jimmy the lock.  Take the lock
mechanism out, and there may be a code on it.  If so, bring the code (and
the lock) to the dealership, and they should be able to make a key for it.

If not (and that's likely-- mine didn't have a code on it either), you can
bring the lock to a locksmith and they'll make a new master key off of
it.  I did this cause my key was so worn down it looked like it was ready
to snap in two.  The new one works perfectly.  Cost me $12.

Jason

At 08:56 PM 4/18/2000 , you wrote:
>k...  feel free to laugh heartily.  i lost my keys. both my keys. my spare
>has been misplaced for a couple days and then due to a really dumb reason i
>lost my main.  so i am completely keyless.  and my rocco is locked (trunk
>too)
>now what the hell do i do?  never really pondered a situation like this..
>at least its stranded in my driveway. can anybody give me a clue on what to
>do?  my mom mentioned something about giving a vw dealership my VIN number
>and they can make me a new key... is this true?? or do i need to call a
>locksmith or something.....  any help appreciated.
>
>timmy
>87 16v
>90 jeep wrangler
>

>--