Re: Hood insulation...

I just replaced mine a few months back.  It's a big job.  I believe that
Brett took his hood off to do it.  I left mine on, and it took the better
part of a weekend to get the old stuff off.  I got mine from the dealer for
about $170.  It took a while to get it in.  There wasn't any available from
VWOA.  I believe that it provides sound deadening and probably also some
sort of heat insulation.

AFAIK they all came with it.  Perhaps your hood has been replaced for some
reason or the PO went through all the trouble of taking it off.

- Jan Folkson

'86 16V
'99 Passat 1.8T
'00 Beetle GLX 1.8T