My 16V is dying.

Well all, sad news in rocco town. While changing the timing belt ChirsD and I found that my crank pully can me moved in and out of the block by about a 1/2 inch or more. While the car is running and revved one can look down at the pully and it visably kicks out under throttle. After putting in my Euro Lights last night I got underneath the car while it was running only to hear what sounded like marbles rolling around in the pan. It doesnt sound so much like rod knock, just a low metallic rumble. When the clutch is depressed the noise gets quiter and the rpms drop a 100-150, but when the clutch is let out it sounds horrible, audible outsside the car quite clearly. So here are my questions.
How is this much end play possible? I did the rod and main bearings myself two years ago and I remember having to tap the main bearing caps on the fit was so tight. To my way of thinking that would mean there is 1/2inch of space on the journals themselves but there isnt. Also, where is the thrust bearing in all this, it was my understanding that this bearing and its special lips bear the brunt of the crank trying to move in and out under load. Ive also heard that a bad throwout bearing can cause a RPM drop when the clutch is depressed, could it also make the crank pully move like that? Lastly how long does she have, Ive gotten estimates from an hour to years. After listening with my ear next to the pan last nite I cant see it last too much longer. The motor has 216K miles on it, burns no oil, has 180/180/190/190 compression and while is showing its age still runs smooth. So much much for getting out of debt, time to look for a 2.0 maybe....

Thank you for your time.
Shannon Fenton
Telecom Resource Management
Amazon.com