Re: Radiator interchangeability

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 20:04:58 -0500 "Aaron Ness" <aaron@makuta.com>
writes:
> Does anyone know what radiators are compatible with my '84 'rocco w/
> AC?  Is a specific radiator used on the cars with AC, or is the cooling
fan
> the only difference?  Can I just swap in any unit from an A1 VW?  While
on
> the subject, how tough would it be to wire in a different fan, in case
> can't find a used one locally?  I believe the A2s have a different
> connector (at least the GTI does).  Are all the A1 connectors the same
for the
> cars with AC?
You need an A1 radiator with the tab mounts and an expansion tank, I
think it might have to be an '83 or '84.
I just upgraded to a 675mm radiator in my '84 Scirocco, there is nothing
wrong with it and I'd sell it for $30.
I installed an '86 GLi radiator, fan w/shroud, the hoses and the harness
into my Scirocco. The bonus was that the A2 harness was plug 'n' play.

The only thing I had to drill was a hole for the passenger side lower
mounting peg.

The A2's use at least 2 different 2 speed fans and connectors.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car, will get a big ass radiator
'84 Scirocco 2.0L, with a big ass radiator
'83 GTI, standard recently replaced radiator
'80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V, '86 GLi for parts