Re: Tranny probs.

Marie,
One quick thing to check is clutch cable adjustment.  If you've got too
much free play it can cause the symptoms you describe.  I think the
Bentley says 1/2" to 3/4" of free play before resistance is met for my
'80.  That should put you in the ball park on just about any year model.
Also, change the gear lube of you haven't lately. (And check the level if
you have changed it recently.)  My old Rabbit pick-up started acting up
like yours and it turned out that there were dust bunnies in the trans.
A new seal and a fill up with Redline Synthetic (my personal gear lube of
choice, I used their "MTL" product if I remember right) and it was better
than new.  Good luck.
-kevin in Texas