I'm a dummy...(was "Oil...WTF?")

Ok, I panicked...it wasn't oil coming out the tail pipe, it was water. It turns out that a properly tuned motor will make some condensation on a cold day.  It was running so rich for so long that the soot and the water made it look like oil.  I let it idle for 30 minutes yesterday and then drove the heck outta it and it didn't lose a significant amount of oil. I couldn't tell by the dipstick anyways.  I was crawling under it today to change the ball joints (real fun) and the back of the oil pan is soaked with sludge and oil.  Probably lost all that slowly over the last 6 months.  Everything is back to normal now.....step down to yellow alert.....
  By the way, Sciroccos Rock!....I finally have this thing in the zone and its just freakin' cool....hehe...

Chris M.
'82 Scirocco
http://members.xoom.com/mp3vw