Fwd: little electrical problem..really dumb

whoops...i meant right-to-left.  sleep is calling me.. and car service sucks

Hello !

Just managed to score a new oem distributor cap and wires for a mere 20 bucks!
I put it all in and kaboom.......rough idle. sputter sputter.  My first
thought is that I didn't do the order correctly.  Yes, I know this is dumb.
I took a look before i did it and started with my # 1 cylinder and position
on the distributor as the top right.  Yea, flame away guys......if my memory
( which doesn't serve me well these days) is correct, they run clockwise...in
order till number four at the top left.  I looked through the Haynes and the
directions involve a piece of tape(duh).....which, as usual, do not help.
I'm wondering if it could be anything else...but can't see why because
everything else was just taken off and put back on in the same order.
Btw...it's a 16v and i'm looking at the motor from left to right.

Any help would be appreciated.
and a word to the wise....don't start working on your car when you're tired!

thanks for the time
rob m