engine work

As school draws to an end here, I look forward to working this summer and
having some money to put into the rocco.  Engine (JH) has quite a few miles
on it and is getting tired.  I want to look into rebuilding this thing,
whether just the head, or the whole thing.  But, I have no idea how much any
of this will cost me.  Could anyone give me a rundown on my options and what
things might cost.  Assume I am not doing any of the work, so I get the
highest possible est.  I am looking for the following:  1)Reliable, daily
driving engine 2) increased performance.  Any help would be appreciated here
so I can plan my summer work.  Thanks...

Brad