Re: smooth sailing! + Brake Question

At 10:15 AM 4/11/2000 , Joshua Strait wrote:
>Don't know about you guys, but my 16v becomes strangly quiet once it hits
>100mph.  It seems loudest at 75 to 80 then it goes down from there.  At
>125 it is very stable.

Thank You!!! Same here-- with the stock 5th gear, I *swore* it was 5dB
quieter in the car at 100mph than at 75.

With the 0.75 gear, it's even more noticeable.  The boomy exhaust note at
3000rpm (70mph) turns into the sweet song at 4000 (92mph), and at 100, the
car is as smooth as silk.

I've had my 16V up to 116 (indicated).  Just haven't had the opportunity to
stretch its legs, although I think with the 0.75 5th, I won't have much
more to go-- my little program predicts a drop from 199km/h to 194km/h
(123.6mph to 120.5mph) in top speed with the gear conversion.

Over 100, the car is smooth, stable, and sure-footed.

However, as I learned last week at 112mph on the PA turnpike, it has
limited braking.  I don't know why, as I'm running Ferodo pads, but I have
what feels like very little braking at those speeds-- it feels as though
it's instant fade-- the pads just never bite.  If I hammer the pedal at 80,
I'll lock up all 4 wheels (obviously I don't do this), but over 90, it's
like there's nothing there... any advice on that front?

Jason

>Josh

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro