Re: 79 rocco idle to high....?

Cam timing:  Shaving the head will require the use of an adjustable cam
sprocket because the distance between the crank sprocket and the cam
sprocket has been changed.  This would be true for a stock or modified cam.
If the cam timing is retarded, you will lose power on your low end.  That
could be why you are getting backfiring and no power when you give it gas.
I think that an adjustable cam sprocket will cure your problems.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition