Re: Spazzy Idle - The End of the Saga

It is possible that the electrical connector to the heater on the idle air
control valve (or whatever the heck its called) is broken or interrupted.
There should be 12 volts at this connector when the key is in the "on"
position.  Ambient temps above a certain point will keep the valve closed,
or the valve will close after a minute or so of the car running, if the
electrical connection and bimetallic strip are both good.  An easy test
for this valve being open is to pinch the rubber hose that feeds the valve
with a pair of pliers or your fingers.  If when the engine is warmed up
fully idle speed drops when you pinch the hose, the valve is stuck open,
or the heater is not functioning.

HTH,  Drew

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Kevin Stoddard wrote:

> Yep, it's an 8V, 1.6, painfully stock, and still fun!  Could the Aux Air
> Regulator be sticking?  Sunday AM it idled rough when cold, but this
> morning it ran just fine (and it was warmer on Sunday.)  Well, just one
> more thing to check.  And the hoses,... I'm gonna need to buy a reel of
> vacuum line before I get done.  The old diesel caddy is so much simpler!
> (Yeah, ok,... and slower!)
> -kevin in Texas

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca