RE: [Scirocco] Wheel Question

Neal Tovsen wrote:

I don't think that there are any positive benefits to increasing
unsprung weight...

There is actually one oddball reason.  This might not exactly be
Scirocco-related but...

The great RUF organization has chosen in the past to go with heavier wheels
on some of their cars.  Their rational is that given how squirlly 911's are
to begin with and how fast RUF 911's move down the road, going with heavier
wheels gave some welcome help to straight-line stability.  Sure, everything
else bites:  more weight to overcome in getting going and a bit detrimental
to handeling, but that was their choice.  Now, the newer RUF cars (I
believe) are going with light-weight magnesium (or something) wheels, but as
the rags have pointed out, they aren't quite as stable as before.

All that said, I do agree that 99% of the time, lighter is better!

Benjamin Wood
84 Scirocco
93 RS America (w/ gobs of RUF stuff, including their older, heavy wheels)