OEM vs. aftermarket (engine overhaul)

Engine 2.0l 16V

As I was calling around getting prices on parts for my engine overhaul, I realized that a lot of places carry aftermarket parts for the crank bearings, intermediate shaft bearing, piston rod bearings, gaskets, etc. What are the differences between OEM and aftermarket? What should I look for and what shouldn't I look for?

BTW, everything in the block is being replaced (aside from the oil pump, crank, intermediate and oil squirters). The head is being sent out so I will only be rebuilding the block.

TIA
Sal Guzzo

81 Scirocco S (16V to be)
81 Scirocco (motorless and directionless)
84 Rabbit (now Gti)
84 Scirocco Wolfsburg