Re: Need Help (stripping the Mk1)

The rear windows are easy to remove.
You need to remove the B pillar covers.
Just pull from the jam side and they pop off.
Then pop off the strip that runs over the top of the window.
It is held in by the same kind of clips that the side B pillar trim
is held in by. OK now for the stupid trim that is in the seal.
You can slide out the bottom part. At the  lower rear
corner there is a small spring clip that joins the top to the bottom.
Just separate the two parts as you slide out the lower trim piece.
Now the fun of removing the bent piece begins. Start at an end
and pull it out until you get a straight section and just slide it out.
You will get it when you see this all coming apart.
Now you can pop out the rear side glass. use a string
and pull it through a corner and pull it around. You may
want to use some soap to make the job a little easier.
It helps to have two people, one on the inside and one on the outside.
Just push it out.

The front is a much more difficult thing to do.
To remove the door B pillar cover you need to
pull out the rubber trim in the front to expose
the three clips that hold the cover on.
Use needle nose pliers to remove the clips and now you are
set to just pull the cover off. OK it is time for the hard part.
The trim that surrounds the window.
I have never done it without breaking the parts.
It works about the same as the rear but the wing is very difficult
to deal with. I am still wondering how I will do this with out damage.
Ask for more help on this part. I think that it is best to leave
the front in. The lower window guides are easy to remove but
the trim is difficult.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco "S"