RE: Polyurethane motor mounts ..Q?

I installed the Techtonics front mount (~$20??) and the VW Motorsport ($30)
rear mount a couple weeks ago. These are both stiffer rubber mounts, but not
as stiff as polyurethane. Over the past week or two they've softened-up a
little, but if they had stayed as harsh as they were when I first started
the engine, I'd have gone back to stock! Now, I get a little dash rattle,
but nothing too bad. I'm told that poly mounts are MUCH stiffer even than
these heavy-duty rubber mounts, and I can't picture using them for a street
car unless you're particularly masochistic.

The most immediately noticible benefit of the stiffer mounts is in throttle
response and shifting. The car obviously didn't gain any HP, but it *feels*
more powerful and torquey because throttle changes affect wheel power more
immediately. The same effect happened with shifting, allowing me to get
on/off the clutch more quickly. They're pretty easy to change too. The only
snag is that the bolts on your starter (which also hold your front mount)
might be hex "allen" bolts, or they may be the 12-pt "tripple-square" bolts,
similar (but different size) to the CV joint bolts, if you know what I mean.
Make sure you have the right tool.

If you don't like finding new rattles in your car, just get some new OE
mounts to replace the old sagging ones and you'll be happy. If you want
increased performance, go with the TT/VWM setup I have. If you need an
all-out racing setup and don't have any fillings to lose, get poly.

I don't know if anyone makes aftermarket passenger side mounts, but I'd
probably just go with a new stock one if it hasn't been replaced in a long
time. It tends to be the first mount to self-destruct, and it's a PITA
(get/use your Bentley manual!), so plan on taking your time and replace your
timing belt/tensioner while you're at it. If your dash rattles now (with
stock mounts) then your pass. side mount needs to be replaced. The
front/rear mounts play a big role in performance because of the rocking
action of the engine. The pass. side one just holds up a lot of weight, so
going with the softer rubber is good for comfort and doesn't really hurt
performance at all. You only need to replace the driver's side mount if it's
obviously really bad, since it doesn't carry much weight.

BTW, I'm sure Mike Potter at Virtual World <http://www.parts4vws.com> would
be more than happy to set you up with the OEM or HD rubber, and may be able
to help with poly, too.

g/l!
Neal
88 16v