Thanks for the help (was: New to list)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.  I'll start taking a look
at those things this weekend.

I did take a good look at the car yesterday in the light of day (it was
delivered at night) and found some interesting and disturbing things and
I'd like your opinions.

The car was originally white.  There are signs of rust that has been
painted over, mostly on the bottom of the doors, a little in the engine
compartment but that's about it, nothing major I could find (I pulled
out the back seats and looked some under the carpet and it all looked
fine).  The engine mounts look like they need to be replaced and the
radiator is attached to the car with zip ties.  There's oil pooling on
the intake manifold (I assume from the valve/cam cover) and it looks
like the cap/plug on top of the transmission is missing.  That's the bad
part.

The good part is that the body looks to be all original and unwrecked.
Everything is straight and all of the accessories work (front/rear
wipers, lights, radio, fan, signals, etc..).  The headliner is in good
shape and the seats are passable.

Here's my question.  I don't have a ton of money to drop on this car so
how much do you think it would cost to get it up to speed as far as
being a semi-daily driver.  I can do all of the work myself but is this
going to nickel and dime me into the poor house or do you think that
with less that $1000 I can shape this thing up?  I really want to keep
the car (I love the lines and I'm a VW nut from my Beetle days) but if
it's going to be a money pit I really should get it to someone who can
do something with it rather than let it waste away in front of my house
until I have the funding to do it myself.

Thanks,

Rob