Re: Audi throttle body...

The diesel single outlet manifold is not a LAME manifold, like the single
outlet K-lambda manifold.

If you compare the two side-by-side, you'll notice that the diesel clip-on
(and non K-Lambda cars in Canada and US) use a 4 into 2 into 1
configuration that very closely resembles the dual port manifold.
There's even a separator in the outlet that keeps the exhaust split for
the early clip-ons that used a dual downpipe (try finding one of THESE,
they just don't make 'em any more.)  According to Raven's book, the dual
port and the 4-2-1 clip-on flow about the same.  I expect there is an
advantage to the dual port for low end torque, as the two exhaust streams
are separate for a longer distance.

The K-Lambda manifolds use a 4-1 configuration with the shortest
and most restricted runners you'll see in a 4 cyl. VW... :)

A little research shows that:

In 1984 models, 49 state pickups and Canadian EN code motors used the
"good" clip-on manifold, part no 067 253 031 AB, while US EN, JF (carb)
and JH code motors, as well as California pickups, used the boat anchor,
P/N 067 253 031 AG.

CR code diesels (1.6l) used 055 253 031 T (no preheat provisions), as did
late CK diesels (1.5l).  This clip-on was used from its introduction until
the end of 1984 US and German A1 NA Diesel production.  It is a swap for
the gas clip-on, except there are no studs for the pre-heat collector.

I hope this information is helpful,

Drew (84 Wolfsburg with 84 4-2-1 clip-on, GLI downpipe)

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Kevin Stoddard wrote:

> Not all diesels had the good exhaust manifolds.  I've owned an '80, '82,
> '83, and '86 and they all had the lame manifold.  (one outlet hole with
> the dorky clamps)  I think it was only the early diesels that had the
> good one.
> -kevin in Texas

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca