RE: sucky idle problems with the Mad Max turbo roc

Yes, they can be taken apart.  There's not a lot to the insides from what
I remember.  I seem to recall a document in the VW archives about taking
one apart and adjusting (bending) the spring to allow for more fuel and/or
compensate for wear.  I expect this is the sort of thing one would not
want to undertake without a fuel pressure guage and the specifications for
CIS fuel pressures (and a lot of patience).

I actually lucked upon a brand spanking new one in a parts car I bought
recently.  They are not a cheap item...

I have also used carb cleaner, as well as canned air (for electronic
parts) with noticeable results (mixture adjustment required afterwards.)

Drew

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Aaron Ness wrote:

> It appeared to me that the regulator could be disassembled pretty easily,
> although I don't know if a rebuild kit is available.  If it is, you might
> just want to rebuild it and reinstall it to alleviate any chance of
> problems.  That would allow you to see if there's any sort of buildup of
> crud inside.
>
> I didn't use compressed air on mine (didn't have it available at home), but
> I did spray it out with some carb cleaner.  I think it might have had a
> slight effect, because after I was done, I had to change my idle screw
> position to keep the engine from dying.

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca