16v head rebuild

So today was a GREAT day in sunny, yet mildly breezy El A, so I went to West LA Engine Rebuilding Inc.
http://www.wla-engine.com/, to see about what they could do for my extra 16v head.  First off, I forgot who told me the valves are sodium filled (TBerk?), but thanks bunches for the info.  I mentioned it to the nice fellow behind the counter and he said, "I thought it was only the valve seats....but you could be right.  In any case, if the valves aren't okay, we'll replace them all."  I told him they weren't pitted or anything but that I wanted new valves and would provide them to be installed in the head.  They also offered cam regrinding services, so I might go with that.  The whole bill would come out to $300 with the 20% walk-in/'I saw your website on the internet" discount.  Core charge of $150 if the head is so trashed he had to replace it, but he said he probably wouldn't because he didn't have one in stock and the head looked like it was in good shape to him.  It's just dirty in places I couldn't reach and I'd pretty much dismantled the whole thing anyway.  He asked if I wanted the head installed after rebuild (they provide that service too), but I opted for "no."  I whipped out the 2 liter crank I had hidden in my back pocket :)...okay, my backpack...and asked if he lightened crankshafts and he said "Nope, but we send them out to be micropolished if you like"...whatever that is *shrug*  I also asked if I could hang around the shop and watch them rebuild the head, but after he stopped laughing =(, he said "no." *sigh*  Damn shop insurance! =/

In any case, a good trip was had and this could be my medium term project.   I just hope when I get around to putting the head into my car, I have half as much fun as I'm having going through the motions of rebuilding :)

Steph
"obviously terribly bored in sunny El A"