Portland Scirocco Cruise info from Andre' (UPDATE!!)

The meeting place for us Washington folks has been determined.  We
shall be meeting in Olympia, right off I-5, at 7:30am on Saturday Oct
2nd.  I considered meeting in Seattle, then again further south near
Kent, then again in Olympia, but I figured this would dig in too much to
the overall drive time, SOOO, I decided to stop in Oly to pick up the
last known participants from Washington.  If any of you are further
south than Oly and want to get in on the caravan down to Portland,
PUH-LEASE let me know ASAP so we can decide how to hook up.

   Alrighty, the meeting place is as follows (per Chris Cramer)

"Going south on I-5, take sleaterkinney exit (108 , its the one right
before Pacific Ave).  It will take you around and back onto sleater
kinney.   Take a right and head back over the freeway.  You will see a
mall on the right and a big Sears store.  We can meet in that parking
lot there, lots and lots of room.  As for getting back on the freeway
it's pretty easy.   We head back over the freeway and take a left onto
the onramp (no light)  we can wait for a big gap and everyone make it on
the freeway at the same time."

   If you have any questions regarding the meeting place (gas stations
and stores or whatnot in the area) email Chris at   Cramercm@aol.com

Alrighty... below is the updated email from Ben Childs (Cruise
coordinator) as to where and when we meet, and our plans for the day.
Looks like you should come prepared (food and hiking shoes - and film!)
QUESTIONS? EMAIL ME (andreb@ee.washington.edu) or BEN (Vaughn8v@aol.com)

Hi there!   **Ben here**

    Portland, Oregon Cruise-Out info:
    Just to keep you up to date:

    Cruise Date:  October 2, 1999 - THIS SATURDAY - 9:30am

    Cruise Meeting place:  Montgomery Wards Auto Center parking lot -
Jantzen Beach - Portland, Oregon

    An overview of the day's events as well as directions are as
follows:

    1.  Did everyone who plans on attending get the change in plans
concerning the meeting place?  We are NOT meeting where originally
planned:  the Safeway parking lot by Lloyd Center that is...  WE ARE NOW
MEETING AT THE MONTGOMERY WARDS AUTO CENTER IN JANTZEN BEACH.  It is
much easier to find!!

    2.  9:30am is the meeting time, however we will be hanging around
for about an hour or so.

    3.  When we leave, we will head out on I-84 Eastbound for about 45
minutes or so until we reach Multnomah Falls.  We will or will not hike
up it.  We may not.  Bring your hiking footwear anyhow... and anything
you want to eat during the day.  We won't be stopping for food.

    4.  After the falls and a few photo ops, etc... you know the drill,
we will head back to Portland for a nice, reasonably brief drive through
a nice network of tightly winding wooded roads.  I plan on leading a
relatively conservative drive through these roads as most, if not all of
you may be unfamiliar with them - some turns are VERY tight and VERY
unpredictable.  Some portions of the drive will see more traffic than
others as some of the drive is rural residential <--- Kind of a respect
thing as far as that goes.  Plus some of our, shall we say "less
endowed" cars may not be able to keep up with other Formula 16v
Sciroccos! :)  :)

    5.  There is a killer old train tressel (late nineteenth century -
unused) that would be good for photo-op - we may or may not swing by
there - depends on how things go.

    6.  We will end up at the Rock Creek Tavern, the coolest little
"middle of nowhere" place I have ever been, at which time bier and
massive food consumption will occur.  Minors not to worry as the cutoff
time to be in the tavern for y'all is 10:00pm... MUCH MUCH later than I
plan on being there!!!  :)  This will be the conclusion of the
cruise-out.

    Directions for the meeting place are as follows:

    From the North (Seattle, B.C., etc.)

- Follow Interstate 5 South across the I-5 bridge over the Columbia
River into Portland.
- You will want to take the VERY 1st exit - exit 308 that is.
- The offramp will curve to the right at the end of which Montgomery
Wards the Department store will be staring you straight in the face.
Off to your right will be The Montgomery Wards Auto Center.  It is
somewhere easily visible in that parking lot that we will be meeting.
-  In the unlikely event that the Auto Center employees are pricks and
kick us out, which I really doubt... In other words if you get there and
don't see us, take a brief roll through surrounding parking areas and
look for Roccos as we would be then meeting VERY close by.
-  I will post a cell#  to the list that you can call in the next couple
of days or so.  9:30am is the time... I will be there a little early -

Directions for you coming from the South:

- Take Interstate 5 North to the last exit before crossing the I-5
bridge, exit 308.  When at the bottom of the offramp, take a left and
eventually curve back under the freeway to the following light.  Go
straight and the mall will be off to your left as will the Montgomery
Wards Auto Center.
-  Again, in the VERY unlikely event that the auto center employees are
pricks and kick us out, take a quick drive through surounding parking
areas as we will DEFINETELY be meeting very closeby.
-  I will post a cell# in the next day or so that you can call on Sat.
with any questions, troubles, etc.

Will see you there!!!!!!!!

Ben Childs
88 Flash Silver Metallic 16v w/ teardrops
Vaughn8v@aol.com

 André Bjorkheim
 Lime Green 79 Scirocco ©
 ICQ #266870