Re: cam, exhaust for 2L 16v block w/ 1.8 head

--- Victor Farren <vfarren@smtp.cdie.org> wrote:
> I have a 2L 16v block I am going to mate up w/ my 1.8 head.  I do not
> plan on doing any head work so its gonna stay stock.  But I have a
> couple of questions:
>
> 1) What is a good cam to give me more high end, w/o killing too much
> of the low end?

Usually a tall order, but for you, only $19.95.  :)

> And no, I don't have the $$ to spend on Schricks.  I
> am looking for a cam that is not too radicle as I still want to
> maintain the low end (is a 258 cam the answer?).  I figure I can
> sacrifice some low end torque since I will be gaining quite a bit w/
> the 2L, but don't want to kill too much of it.  I miss the torque I
> had in my old 8v w/ the G-grind, TT dual downpipe and 2" exhaust!

This was pretty much my thinking when I got the 260's.  I figured that
the 2L would make up for any loss of low end, like you.  I hear people
really like the Euro intake cam, it probably has the best bang for the
buck as far as 16v cams go.

> What is the word on that new Autotech cam?

People say good things about them, but without some Cam Doctoring or
very expensive back-2-back dyno runs between them and a set of Schrick
260's, I wouldn't trust them at their word.

> 2) What is the best route to go in in terms of exhaust upgrades?  I
> understand that the stock 16v exhaust is already pretty damn good, and
> have heard that the bottleneck lies in the stock muffler.

Once again, the best bang for the $$ would probably be the TT 2.25 stainless
with an Ultraflow.  A header would net you more HP at some rpms, but would
probably be less reliable.  Some people on this list have been running
16v headers for quite some time, so apparently then can last a while.

> I woud like to get a bigger downpipe but want to keep the catalytic
> converter.  I don't know of anyone that makes a lerger downpipe that
> allows me to keep the cat.  Does one exist??

I think Ben Beacock might have gotten ANSA to make some of these, but
that's just an unsubstainiated rumor.

> Is spending $300+ on a stainless exhaust system ( I am on the East
> Coast, aluminum isn't an option) going to give me a sizeable jump in
> hp, or is the stock system pretty much optimized already..remember
> this is going to go on a 2L motor.

Sizeable jump?  Not really, 5-7hp in all likelihood.

> Just want to know what I can do to optimize my configuration w/o
> getting crazy w/ the engine (boring it out, headwork, etc.)

16v tuning is an expensive past time, if you're serious about making it
fast, be perpared to fork out the big dollars.  Hidden 8v horsepower
is easy to find (throttle body, downpipe, exhaust, increased compression,
etc.) while the 16v is fairly well optimized in stock form.

> Victor

==Brett