Re: 16V Scirocco (tranny blow up)

** Reply to note from Dsrtwnd16V@aol.com Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:43:23 EDT
> Also, the topic  was 16V transmission & I see that you have an 8v.
> Is it a 16V tranny?

  Ooops! Shouldn't have read the contents of the original message.
Mine is a plain 8v transmission, but part of the message said:

> Their consensus for prolonging this from happening was to NEVER
> use the engine as a brake, and not to downshift and use the engine as
> a brake.

  To which I replied:

> << I always thought brakes are cheaper than a transmission, which
> is why I  use them.  I try to be very gentle with my transmission. I
> still had to have mine  rebuilt somewhere around 200 thousand
> kilometers. >> >

  I feel the recommendation applies to the transmission in 8v Roccos
also, even though with our anemic engines we need a calendar to
time the acceleration to 106 mph :-)

  Even if it did not apply, I feel brakes are cheaper and easier to
maintain than a transmission, so I'd rather waste the brakes.

  Jean-Claude
  ICQ: 47403427

  84 8v, 251 000 + Km