RE: 16V Scirocco (tranny blow up)

Why would it be recommended to take it out of gear below third?  This seems
contradictory to the whole reasoning behind staying in a low enough gear
driving around town.

I know someone who has actually had to zip through a red light to avoid
getting smacked in the rear.  He was sitting at a light, a car was coming up
behind him, and he could see they weren't stopping.  A cop just happened to
be sitting nearby and saw the whole thing.  My friend was not ticketed, but
the driver who almost hit him was.

I always stay in the correct gear for acceleration at whatever speed I'm
moving.  People talk about how much it wears the T/O bearing with all that
shifting, but I've never had a problem, and my safety is a bigger concern
than knocking 10k miles off the life of the T/O bearing.

Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale