Re: 16V Scirocco (tranny blow up)

At 09:57 AM 9/29/99 , ShtRocket@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 99-09-29 09:52:24 EDT, ghuff@htech.com writes:
>
><< Jonas, are you serious? That is retarded dude. >>
>
>In Maine it's illegal not to be in gear at all times, not that I think twice
>about throwing it into nuetral for a good long downhill.

Same in Germany.  When your vehicle is moving, you are required to be in a
gear with the clutch engaged, period.

It makes sense, though... if for some reason you have to accelerate out of
a situation quickly, all you have to do is hit the gas.

In addition, coasting into a corner in neutral, and then, say engaging a
gear abruptly (or worse, engaging 1st instead of 3rd) could upset the
chassis and lead to a skid.

German driving instructors often recommend _not_ being in too high of a
gear around town.  For example, I was driving in town at the posted speed
limit of 50 km/h (about 30mph), and shifted from 3rd to 4th, and was
reprimanded.  Even though the car could handle 4th no problem, even up
hills, it was recommended that I stay in 3rd so as to have more power on
tap in case I had to make a quick getaway (like accelerate and change lanes
quickly)....

Also, downshifting as you're slowing for a light is usually also frowned
upon.  The recommended technique is to stay in gear (3rd in most cars
around town) until you've slowed to idle.  Then, disengage the clutch and
shift into neutral as you're stopping.  So the only time you're not in gear
with the engine connected to the wheels is below idle speed in 3rd (so,
10mph?).  Beginning drivers are instructed to stay in 1st with the clutch
disengaged until the light turns green... this helps beginning drivers not
get stressed and stall the engine.  However, while sitting at a light,
experienced drivers are taught to wait in neutral.

My $0.02
Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro