Re: 16V Scirocco (tranny blow up)

In a message dated 9/28/99 3:13:14 PM Central Daylight Time, Captnbr@aol.com
writes:

<< << Watch out for 020 tranny self
  machining syndrome, the consesus seems to be that around 150,000 miles is
  when they go.... >>
 In researching this problem the past couple of weeks I talked to a few VW
 mech. and other mech.  Their consensus for prolonging this from happening
was
 to NEVER use the engine as a brake, and not to downshift and use the engine
 as a brake.   >>

They were full of crap.  I just had mine rebuilt last week.  All he found bad
was pinion shaft bearings.  The infamous clips hadn't broken yet. Also, my
reverse gear was still perfect.  The tranny had 160k on it.  I downshift
always.  Granted, I don't SLAM it down, but I do downshift whenever I'm
slowing.  That's probably why my brakes last 80-100k miles.  I'll agree that
VW trannies have a weak spot, but downshifting isn't gonna make much of a
difference cause they're gonna go bad no matter what.
Dan May
8716VScirocco
95Pathfinder
http://members.aol.com/scirocco87