Re: Transmission Transmission

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Barry Shapiro wrote:

> Could Anyone out there tell me or point me to the good websites concerning
> Transmissions. I am looking to do a swap and wanted the lowdown on what fits
> my 86 8v. Particularly a long ratio box. I want to know the cars to look for
> not just codes.
> Also is the Diesel tranny a possibility? I want to have my facts straight
> before I enter the market.
> As alway , Thanks

I'm currently running an 'E' overdrive 7A tranny in my 84 Wolfsburg.  The
ratios are well spaced, and the final drive is the same as the stock 4K
at 3.94, but 4th and 5th are .91 and .71 vs 1.13 and .91 in the 4K box.
It was a balance between performance and economy cruising at speeds of
60mph or less.  The donor car in my case was an 84 Turbo Diesel Jetta.

Most any 020 box should fit - I've used the ACN (early A2 gas wide ratio
box)  and ACH (early A2 diesel box - has 1.03 4th, .75 5th and 3.94 final
drive) in A1 Jettas, both gas and diesel.  The ACN is a great mileage
performer, but is not so convenient for hotrod performance.  You can find
the ACN in most 85-86 gas Jettas and Golfs (some GL Jettas had 9A 1.13,
.91, 3.67 boxes?).  The ACH came in 85 and 86 (perhaps later) Golf and
Jetta diesels.

You've got to watch for things like CV joint size (flanges are
interchangeable) and if you're using a late-model (or early-model) donor,
the reverse light switch wiring harness can be different.

Years ago I compiled a bunch of transmission data and wrote a quick and
dirty QB program that calculated engine speed given tire size,
transmission speed and tire size in order to help me choose a good box.
If you have access to ftp and are running DOS/WINX I can make it
available.

Drew

> I remain
> Barry Shapiro
> 86 8v
> 85 Cab

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca