cam, exhaust for 2L 16v block w/ 1.8 head

I have a 2L 16v block I am going to mate up w/ my 1.8 head.  I do not
plan on doing any head work so its gonna stay stock.  But I have a
couple of questions:

1) What is a good cam to give me more high end, w/o killing too much
of the low end?  And no, I don't have the $$ to spend on Schricks.  I
am looking for a cam that is not too radicle as I still want to
maintain the low end (is a 258 cam the answer?).  I figure I can
sacrifice some low end torque since I will be gaining quite a bit w/
the 2L, but don't want to kill too much of it.  I miss the torque I
had in my old 8v w/ the G-grind, TT dual downpipe and 2" exhaust!
What is the word on that new Autotech cam?

2) What is the best route to go in in terms of exhaust upgrades?  I
understand that the stock 16v exhaust is already pretty damn good, and
have heard that the bottleneck lies in the stock muffler.

I woud like to get a bigger downpipe but want to keep the catalytic
converter.  I don't know of anyone that makes a lerger downpipe that
allows me to keep the cat.  Does one exist??

Is spending $300+ on a stainless exhaust system ( I am on the East
Coast, aluminum isn't an option) going to give me a sizeable jump in
hp, or is the stock system pretty much optimized already..remember
this is going to go on a 2L motor.

Just want to know what I can do to optimize my configuration w/o
getting crazy w/ the engine (boring it out, headwork, etc.)

Thanks

Victor