RE: The HONEST lowdown on my 87 16V Scirocco

-----Original Message-----
From: Snow, Jason [mailto:SnowJ@aetna.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 11:49 AM
To: 'scirocco-l@scirocco.org'
Subject: The HONEST lowdown on my 87 16V Scirocco

Please send me comments, ideas, suggestions...Mock me about the Monroes and
Audiovox :)

The HONEST lowdown on my 87 16V Scirocco -With all its faults, I LOVE THIS
CAR!

Problems

1.)	Front strut inserts - Bought Monroe Sens-a-Trac struts (friend owns
a/p store, only brand he can get / 2 front struts $ 70.00!). Need to replace
(mechanic required - to compress springs and install new inserts into
springs).

Do yourself a favor dude, pickup some decent springs, and some boge progas,
or bilstein HD's. You will at *LEAST* never have to replace them, and thats
no counting how happy you will be with its handling. I am going the same
route, I bought a 16v car that came with autotech springs (yuck!) and boge
progas shocks. Since I have extra Koni's I am going to get new springs for
them, and rebuild all the misc. little rubbers suspension bits, and put them
on the car as complete strut units.

2.)	Passenger side motor mount - Need to purchase mount (mechanic
required - to press out old mount and press in new mount). Timing Belt
required.

Timing belt, you can do it yourself, its a bitch but you can. Just bring the
mount into a VW dealer, and have them press the old one out, and the new one
in for you.

3.)	Tune up and oil change - need to purchase Air filter (Mann), spark
plugs (Super Bosch + 4), bought Castrol Performax synthetic oil, and Bosch
oil filter.

If it has 200k I may worry about putting synthetic into it. Synthetic wont
destroy seals or anything, but remember; with synthetics incredible flow
properties, it has a way of finding little leaks that dino oil can not :)
Not to mention if there is old crusty dino oil plugging a hole in a seal, it
may clean it away after a while, and in turn leak a little. I faced the same
dilemma, my car has about 150k on it, and it leaks 3 or 4 drops a day from
the oil pan. I ended up sticking with castrol now, but it looks in good
enough shape to stick with synthetic, so next oil change I will.
I heard bad things about those bosch plugs, and they are expensive! I put
standard NGk's in my car, ($2.50-$3.00 each) and they rock.

4.)	Oil and temperature lights come on - if I race the car (beat on it a
little bit). No visible leaks, and fluids checked regularly, but still get
these lights when engine is running hot (usually after fast driving).

VW electrical guru in the house?

5.)	Serious bind in power steering - I am told that bleeding it will
most likely not work, may need new rack !!!???
ouch! Find a rack in a junkyard dude! The dealer will bend you over for it!

6.)	Exhaust rattle - NEW dual down pipe (stock) with cat. Could this be
from the broken passenger engine mount ?

Expensive piece! I think you can get a certain brand header with the flex
joint, for less than a new 16v manifold, and downpipe! I am not sure though.

7.)	Heat on constantly - may need new valve ???

Don't know about that, right now I am lacking heat in my 16v car :) So if
you find anything out let me know

Minor Details

1.)	Door locks and trunk lock - Need to install (ignition switch
replaced from parts car in N.J, lost old key).

Find someone on the list who is parting one out.

2.)	Rear Wiper - Does not work, I will get the motor from my parts car
in N.J.

If all else fails, I have an extra motor, and assembly somewhere in my room,
from when some kid smashed the rear window of my 8v car, and I had to pull
one from the junkyard. I know it works, It was on the old window before it
was broken.

3.)	Sunroof - Does not roll back, only tilts (common). Need kit ???

Vw's wonderful tilt&break sunroof, another thing that adds character to your
scirocco :) Mine is getting pretty rough, but its not broken *YET*

4.)	Radio - I have an Audiovox :-( (better than what's in it now!), need
to install as well as passenger door speaker.

Audiovox! *puke* Pick up a decent CD deck, or tape deck. Tunes are a must
for long drives.

5.)	Tray - The tray under the steering wheel, need to install other half
(I have it).

Worthless IMHO, I used to use it to hold change before I figured out I could
have a few inches more leg room :)

6.)	New wipers - New wipers.

Bosch Micro edge inserts, 7$ each. Go with the cheap ones like I did, and
end up getting new ones 2 months later because they suck too much ass.

Inspection Needed

Maryland Inspection? Virginia? If your local and need help, let me know. I
live in crofton.

Entire Suspension

Easy, just takes some $$$

Belt & Hoses

Easy, but not fun.

Compression Test (supposedly 175,177,180,210 mechanic not worthy though)

That is liveable, remember it has 200k on it :) Most cars with 200k barely
run :)

Fluids

Details, details :)

Summary

Body is VERY clean (Owen red :-)), needs touch up paint here and there, but
nice nonetheless.
200,000 Miles plus and still kicking.

That is why I bought my car! Very clean body. I can easily rebuild a motor
for it, but I hate having to paint, and take care of rust!

Most Recent Smack Downs

Too many Hondas to count
'90 something  Corrado (no I am not making it up)
Some silly Audi (careful you might scratch it, that's what you get for
trying to tailgate a Rocco)

I have taken plenty of g60's in my time. VR6 corrado's are a no-no though :(
I even took a mustang the other nite. Honda's are boring, the only one I had
a hard time with was a new SiR, or Si. We were dead even at like 75 when I
let off, but his quarter mile time on the window said 16.5, when the stock
scirocco 16v runs 16.1 :) He must have come from the track when I caught
him.

I love my car, although it ate a tranny, and its plagued with the little VW
gremlin problems it is a fine automobile. I can not see myself driving
anything else. Thanks,
				Gary Huff