Re: Stock 16V Rims

>From: Scott Williams <sfwilliams@home.com>

>"Snow, Jason" wrote:
>
> > I was told the the stock 87 16v Scirocoo rims are not condusive to good
> > handeling, something about an "offset"...
>
>The offset is a measure of how far in our out the rim is relative to the
>hub. Have you ever seen one of those ridiculous SoCal lowrider  cars with
>the rims poking out a foot from the fender? Okay, that wheel has a
>radically different offset than what you've got in your stock car.
>(Actually, is that a higher or lower offset, guys? I forget which way is
>which sometimes...)

A wheel with 0 et (et=offset measured in mm) would have the 'face' (surface
that is flat against the drum or disc) directly in the middle of the wheel.
Example--- if you have a 6" rim with 0 et the rim will have 3" on the
outside and 3" on the inside of the face.
Most front wheel drive cars, (some rear wheel drive like the 911) have a
high et. like 35-40 or so. If you stay in this range, you will *USUALLY* be
ok. I'm running a sick 23et on the uGLi, needless to say, I had to modify
the fenders SEVERLY (read: sawzall) to make em fit.
The higher the number, the more a wheel sticks 'in'.
the lower the number, (and negative) the more it'll stick out.

I've been crunching the numbers on the '58's front end. My dropped spindles
will widen my track by 1/4", I'm narrowing the beam either 2" or 3", and I
should be running an early 911 Fuchs alloy in 15x4.5". Combined with the
dramatic offset (50something?) of the Fuchs, my overall look should be the
wheels tucked in about 1 1/4"- perfect to drop it into the wheel wells.

Check out some of the German tuner cars (Reiger, Seidel...) and see some
creative use of severe offsets. We here in america like the
'bolt-it-on-and-call-it-done' effect...

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com -- Finally Updated!
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus