16V oil pressure sending units: what the &$^#(*$&?!?!?

While transfering my VDO gauges from the 8V to the 16V, I decided to
actually hook up the oil pressure gauge (10psi) instead of just having it
sit there in the console. Well, it is simple for 8Vs: take out the sending
unit from the driver side of the engine, screw in the dual sending unit,
run a wire to the interior, done.
The 16Vs have both the low and high pressure sending units mounted on top
of the oil cooler. Mike Potter told me that he vaguely remembered someone
doing this, and the trick was: replace the front unit with teh dual unit;
move the wire from the front unit to the rear unit; move the wire from teh
rear unit to the proper lead of the dual unit, and connect the remaining
lead of the dual unit to the wire running to the gauge. I tried just that.
Did not work. In fact, the *only* combination (out of the possible four)
that does not result in the oil buzzing or the oil light flashing is: rear
unit and wire stay as they are; front wire goes to where the wire for the
gauge should go. Needless to say, that configuratoin doesn't allow the
gauge to work, gives it almost 0 V, which pegs the needle to as far as it
can go.

Apparently there is a way to make this work, since Mark told me his friend
did make it work, it is just that it is not obvious what to do. I suspect
it has to do with teh two stock sensors being for low and high pressure.
Maybe I should have removed the rear sensor instead of the front one?

Has anybody in here done this to a 16V?

Thanks,

Elias