Re: reverse light switch?

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999 23:04:09 -0400 "Jeff Wheeler"
<j_dubbya@mindspring.com> writes:

>When I went to remove it, what I saw did not match the Bentley
illustration.
>In place of something that looked like it screwed into place
vertically(as
>in the picture), I saw something that appeared to be held in place by
two
>screws fastened horizontally.  Is this just another version of the same
>thing?

Its an "L" shaped switch with 4 pins on the inside tranny portion and  4
electrical pins which point up when unplugged from the cable.

>Is transaxle fluid going to come out if I remove it?

If it does you got WAY too much fluid. :)
No, is should'nt spill anything.

>Is there something else I should be looking at
>closely before presuming it's the switch?

Other than the obvious burnt out bulbs, grounds and electrical
connections on the rear tail lights yes.
Put the car in reverse. Turn ON the key switch. Remove the switch, (plug
it back into the harness) and with your fingers, depress in the pins on
the left side. (Push them in pretty far.) Have someone look at the backup
lights. if they don't come on, try the other pins. They should come on.
What happens is the little pins get worn down and the $45 switch is junk.
Kinda sucks. Its one of the few things that ive NEVER fixed on my car and
ive pretty much replaced everything on the car. heh.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and