starter going wacko

Hey guys, i have been having a problem with my starter for a little while
now.  Sometimes it'll start up just fine, and other times it will crank over
r-e-a-l-l-y s...l...o....w...l....y

        At first i thought i had a bad battery, but it seems to continue
cranking even when its turning over slowly.  sometimes, it'll turn over
normally, but before it catches and starts, it'll go into super slow mode.
Is this a bad solenoid, and if so is it replaceable, or could it be
something else?

      This is an area of the car i've never dealt with before, so it's
foreign to me (like most things electrical)

          TIA

Owen
87 Scirocco 16v #38 CD-SS.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1571